Coordinator ~ Chief Michael Bradley send email phone: 609- 361-2050
Asst. Coordinator~Patrolman Butch Hartmann send email
Asst. Coordinator~Patrolman Brendan Kerlin send email
June 29th, 2010
LONG BEACH ISLAND TOWNS ANNOUNCE
DISTRIBUTION OF EMERGENCY RE-ENTRY PLACARDS
Long Beach Island - June 29, 2010 – The Emergency Management groups from each municipality on Long Beach Island and Stafford Twp will be distributing Re-Entry Placards by mail, to property and business owners in the next few weeks. Officials met last week to distribute the placards to the individual municipalities who will then send them out to property owners in each town. All six municipalities have approved the Re-Entry plan. The window placards, are designed to be hung on the rear view mirror of the property owner’s vehicle. They are color coded according to the section of the Island in which the resident lives. The placard procedure was modeled in part after a system used in the Cape Hatteras area of North Carolina. This plan verifies the residence ahead of time as opposed to the old plan that would issue Re-Entry cards just prior to a disaster hitting our area. It is recommended that you keep this in the glove box of the primary vehicle that you would use to return to the Island. Here are some important points to remember:
· Placards are color coded to allow entrance to specific areas only; property owners will only be allowed into the areas for which their placard was issued.
· Property owners must assess damage and secure their property only. They will not be allowed to assess damage and secure property of others but only their own property or properties.
· Only property and business owners with re-entry permits displayed on the vehicle’s mirror will be allowed re-entry into the areas permitted.
· Placards will be valid for four years; at which time municipalities will issue new ones.
· Property/Business owners who lose their placards may go to their town hall and purchase a new placard upon showing proper identification and a tax bill or lease.
· The fee for replacement placards is set at $50.00.
· One placard is issued per property/business owner regardless of how many vehicles owned.
· No placards will be issued 72 hours before a storm is expected to reach the area.
· No placards will be issued to seasonal tenants
Local Emergency Management Officials are confident that this Re-Entry Plan and Placard procedure will help streamline the re-entry process to Long Beach Island after a disaster. Residents can familiarize themselves with the Long Beach Island Re-Entry Plan to better understand the limited scope of access that will be available during a post-disaster emergency. The complete Re-Entry plan will be posted on each municipality’s web site.